- We source the most needy villages throughout the remote areas of Tanzania and Uganda together with our in-country partners
- We organise a hydrological survey and liaise with the village elders to establish the best location for the positioning of the well for the whole community
- Drilling is organised and once completed the WFA team install the base and hand-pump and ensure the full working order of the well
- The completed project is then handed over to the village committee
- An amazing “thanks-giving” celebration for the provision of the well takes place with the whole community
- Local village members receive hygiene and sanitation education
- The village committee are provided with the direct contact of the in-country partner should any issues arise
- All projects are re-visited over the next 12 months to ensure sustainability
Water for Africa seeks to build and utilize the capacities of the communities we work in. Our key desire is to help communities realise their long-term best interests and to help bring self-help, self-reliance and sustainable change to the individuals, families and to the community without discrimination. We work with and train local people to participate in the drilling team and assign a community committee member to take responsibility for the new water project once it is handed over. This ensures the sustainability of the project for years to come.
According to the Rural Supply Network 30-40% of all water wells are broken across Africa due to poor sustainability.
We have trained and set up an 'In-Country Repair & Maintenance Team' to be part of the solution.
Our incredible local team work each week, looking after all our newly installed water projects, along with repairing water wells which they find sitting abandoned and broken for many years often between 6-10 years. They fix them and adopt them into our program to ensure a continuous flow of safe, clean drinking water for years to come. Our team works all year round and deals promptly with any issues which may arise.
Our vision is to see this region and beyond completely saturated with clean drinking water, helping one community at a time.
Impact in 2019
Our in-country team achieved some outstanding results in 2019.
A huge thank you to all our partners and donors, together we are impacting and changing lives through the provision of clean water and improved health.